Parkinson’s disease (PD) belongs to a group of conditions called motor system disorders, which are the result of the loss of dopamine-producing brain cells.
The four primary symptoms of PD are:
- Tremor, or trembling in hands, arms, legs, jaw, and face;
- Rigidity, or stiffness of the limbs and trunk;
- Bradykinesia, or slowness of movement; and
- Postural instability, or impaired balance and coordination.
As these symptoms become more pronounced, patients may have difficulty walking, talking, or completing other simple tasks.
PD usually affects people over the age of 60.
How Physical Therapy Can Help
Parkinson’s Disease affects each patient a little different. Therefore, your physical therapist will perform a thorough evaluation of your condition.
We then develop a personalized treatment plan to help you become as independent as possible and to improve your activity level. Your treatment may address some of these common limitations:
- Improve your fitness level, strength, and flexibility
- Develop more effective strategies to get in and out of bed, chairs, and cars
- Rollover in bed more easily
- Stand and turn to change directions more efficiently
- Improve the smoothness and coordination of your walking
- Improve your ability to perform hand movements
- Decrease your risk of falling
- Climb and descend stairs and curbs
- Participate in activities that are important to you
LSVT Global® pioneered the Lee Silverman Voice Treatment to improving the lives of individuals with Parkinson’s Disease. The Physical Therapy training program is known as BIG. Therapists from our Covington office are certified to train individuals with Parkinson’s as well as aging and other conditions including stroke, multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy, Down’s Syndrome in this technique. It consists of 4 consecutive days for 4 weeks of intense treatment. Please contact our Covington office for more details at (985) 249-6111.
We are here to help. If you would like to learn more about our Parkinson’s Disease rehabilitation program, please don’t hesitate to give us a call.